Wiki Signature dates vs Date on reports as the Service date

HeidiLeeCrawford

Contributor
Best answers
Hello. I am billing for providers at a teaching hospital. So a resident sees the patients before the provider. However, there is usually a day in between being seen.

For example, a Resident will see the patient on 2/14, but the provider will not see the patient till 2/15, and will add an addendum saying they "say the patient" onto the resident's note with their signature.

The question I have regards the date of service conformation. I will have the resident note with the "date collected" and signed by the resident as 2/14, and then the provider will sign the report on 2/15 with their addendum. However there is no note stating the provider actually saw the patient on 2/15. I have had several providers tell me that they can bill for 2/15 since that is the day they signed it. Is this correct? I figured I needed to go by the date on the actual report since providers often dont sign on the same day they were seen due to transcription delays.

I cannot seem to find any CMS guidelines about this, but I would love a link if anyone knows of one.

The providers are incorrect. The date signed is not viewed by payers as the date of service. I work for a major payer and we do not accept signed date as DOS.