Wiki skin tag removal following delivery

debellis59

Networker
Best answers
I'm kind of at a loss on how to code this. Hymenectomy doesn't seem quite right, although that's the code the midwife selected. This is about 5 weeks post-delivery. I'm leaning toward 57135, but would like someone's feedback on this. Any help is appreciated.

Verbal consent obtained
Written consent not obtained
Consent given by: Patient
Patient identity confirmed per policy: Yes
Procedural pause: Immediately prior to the procedure a pause per universal protocol was called .
Location performed: Other Other location: Clinic

Preparation

Protective barrier: Mask, Hand scrub and Gloves

Indications for procedure: Hymenal remnant
Supporting diagnosis: S/P 2* perineal laceration repair
Procedure preparation:
Local anesthesia used?: Yes
Anesthesia: Local infiltration
Local anesthetic: Lidocaine 1% without epinephrine
Anesthetic total (ml): 3.5
Patient sedated: No
Post-procedure:
Patient tolerance: Patient tolerated the procedure well with no immediate complications
After pt emptied her bladder she was positioned in normal support. 3.5 mL 1% lidocaine injected in the surrounding tissue @ 1 mL bleeding noted at that time. Dr. F called in to assess the lesion and she agreed with plan to clamp and excise the protruding lesion. When anesthesia was verified a clamp was placed where the hymenal tissue met the vaginal wall. The tissue was removed against the clamp with a scalpel. After 2 minutes the clamp was removed and per Dr. F's recommendation silver nitrate sticks were used to achieve hemostasis. Total EBL 3 mL. Pt tolerated procedure well. After care instructions reviewed.

I'm kind of at a loss on how to code this. Hymenectomy doesn't seem quite right, although that's the code the midwife selected. This is about 5 weeks post-delivery. I'm leaning toward 57135, but would like someone's feedback on this. Any help is appreciated.

Verbal consent obtained
Written consent not obtained
Consent given by: Patient
Patient identity confirmed per policy: Yes
Procedural pause: Immediately prior to the procedure a pause per universal protocol was called .
Location performed: Other Other location: Clinic

Preparation

Protective barrier: Mask, Hand scrub and Gloves

Indications for procedure: Hymenal remnant
Supporting diagnosis: S/P 2* perineal laceration repair
Procedure preparation:
Local anesthesia used?: Yes
Anesthesia: Local infiltration
Local anesthetic: Lidocaine 1% without epinephrine
Anesthetic total (ml): 3.5
Patient sedated: No
Post-procedure:
Patient tolerance: Patient tolerated the procedure well with no immediate complications
After pt emptied her bladder she was positioned in normal support. 3.5 mL 1% lidocaine injected in the surrounding tissue @ 1 mL bleeding noted at that time. Dr. F called in to assess the lesion and she agreed with plan to clamp and excise the protruding lesion. When anesthesia was verified a clamp was placed where the hymenal tissue met the vaginal wall. The tissue was removed against the clamp with a scalpel. After 2 minutes the clamp was removed and per Dr. F's recommendation silver nitrate sticks were used to achieve hemostasis. Total EBL 3 mL. Pt tolerated procedure well. After care instructions reviewed.
While there is no perfect match for what was done for this patient and no suturing was required, I disagree that this could be reported as 57135. That code is intended for the work involved when the cyst or tumor is imbedded in the vaginal wall - this was a like a skin tag on the surface. The work is really more like 56442 (hymentomy), but a bit more. The code 56700, although it covers revision of the hymenal ring, again requires suturing and the place of service for that code is facility only while this procedure was performed in the clinic and for some reason the code 56442 also has RVUs assigned only for the facility setting. I would advise you report the unlisted code 58999 and compare the work to something between 56442 and 56700.