Wiki Slant back

KoBee

Expert
Best answers
Anyone else run into this problem in trying to figure out correct procedure for an ingrown nail without anesthesia. The closes I got was CPT 11719, no documentation of being a dystrophic nail, so considering it nondystrophic.

Procedure
"nail border was trimmed with a nail nipper. No anesthesia needed. (slant back)"

Help :/

This is a hot topic. 11719 is defined as trimming of non dystrophic nail in length. A slant back is not trimming of length. It is a procedure used to relieve a mild ingrown nail. To my knowledge there is no code for this procedure. If the documentation, medical decision making, is appropriate, many providers code a low level e&m. If a prescription was sent to the pharmacy, then a mod level e&m may be appropriate.

For a slant back procedure I use 11765. The wedge excision is the removal of the skin overlapping the ingrown nail.
I mean no disrespect, 11765 is not the code to use for a slant back. The wedge excision is performed on skin, not nail and involves the surgical removal of a section of tissue that is thick at one end and tapers to a thin edge. This skin is often associated with an ingrown nail, however, in my experience, is an unusual procedure, one not performed often as the proud flesh usually resolves with a nail avulsion. A slant back is the trimming of a nail in a slanted fashion to relieve the pressure of an ingrown nail.