Wiki Smoking Cessation - Nicotine Dependence

annamlupp

New
Best answers
Currently reviewing compliance for claims with 99406 and 99407 CPT. Assuming the provider states nicotine dependence in the chart, if they also state the patient smoked # of black and milds per day, would this be under the F17.20 umbrella or the F17.29? Not sure if I'm overthinking this one but I was under the impression that black and milds were not considered cigarettes.

Hi Annamlupp, :)

Blacks and mild type of cigar is worse than cigarettes. I d use dx F17.29 since states other tobacco products (cigars) . Ensure proper documentation for tobacco-use cessation counseling should include the total time spent face to face with the patient, and what was discussed. The patient’s desire or need to quit tobacco use, cessation techniques and resources, estimated quit date, and planned follow up should be noted within the patient’s medical record. Without this information, medical necessity for coverage may be questioned, which could result in denied or delayed payment. Without documentation of significant and separately identifiable work, the payment for smoking cessation counseling may be included in the payment for the primary E/M service. Examples of incomplete documentation: “I have counseled the patient again to quit smoking. The patient verbalized understanding, but is not ready to quit smoking.” “>3 minutes spent counseling patient on tobacco use.” Reference https://www.aapc.com/blog/35703-get-paid-for-smoking-cessation/ AAPC Knowledge Center AAPC July 2016

Ahh hope this data helps you.;)
Lady T

Hi Annamlupp, :)

Blacks and mild type of cigar is worse than cigarettes. I d use dx F17.29 since states other tobacco products (cigars) . Ensure proper documentation for tobacco-use cessation counseling should include the total time spent face to face with the patient, and what was discussed. The patient’s desire or need to quit tobacco use, cessation techniques and resources, estimated quit date, and planned follow up should be noted within the patient’s medical record. Without this information, medical necessity for coverage may be questioned, which could result in denied or delayed payment. Without documentation of significant and separately identifiable work, the payment for smoking cessation counseling may be included in the payment for the primary E/M service. Examples of incomplete documentation: “I have counseled the patient again to quit smoking. The patient verbalized understanding, but is not ready to quit smoking.” “>3 minutes spent counseling patient on tobacco use.” Reference https://www.aapc.com/blog/35703-get-paid-for-smoking-cessation/ AAPC Knowledge Center AAPC July 2016

Ahh hope this data helps you.;)
Lady T
Thank you very much! I will be sure to include that information in my provider education