Wiki Spinal surgery coding

jdibble

True Blue
Best answers
I have a spinal surgery that is confusing and am hoping I can get some help understanding what was done. I apologize for the length! :)

Another coder in my office who usually does a lot of pediatric coding is coding for a new doctor who does older patients and was questioning her code choices, so I am trying to help. I am not sure about the coding of the arthrodesis for the scoliosis and the TLIF with the laminotomies, facetectomies and foraminotomies. She had picked codes 22800, 22633, 22634, 22853 x3, 22842 plus the graft codes which we don't bill. I was thinking it should be 22633, 22634x2, 63052, 63053x2, 22853x3, 22842. I am not sure about the 22800 since this does not hit a CCI edit with the TLIF codes, but I don't understand how both could be used. I also am not sure how it would be decided if this would be a scoliosis arthrodesis rather than or in addition to the TLIF. The other question would be if the 63052, 63053 is correct to code as there is also discrepancies in the CPT book where a note attached to 22633, 22634 says not to use those codes together, but under the 63052, 63053 it states to use those codes with 22633, 22634! (These codes still do hit a CCI edit so a 59 modifier would be needed anyway!)

Any help with the correct code choices and any insights on to how to determine the procedures done (22800 or 22633 or both and the use of 63052, 63053) would be greatly appreciated!
Diagnosis
Pre-op Diagnosis
* Acute midline low back pain with left-sided sciatica [M54.42]
* Spinal stenosis of lumbar region without neurogenic claudication [M48.061]
* Lumbar radiculopathy [M54.16]
* Spondylolisthesis of lumbar region [M43.16]
* Lumbar spondylosis [M47.816]
* Scoliosis of lumbar region due to degenerative disease of spine in adult [M41.56]
Post-op Diagnosis
* Acute midline low back pain with left-sided sciatica [M54.42]
* Spinal stenosis of lumbar region without neurogenic claudication [M48.061]
* Lumbar radiculopathy [M54.16]
* Spondylolisthesis of lumbar region [M43.16]
* Lumbar spondylosis [M47.816]
* Scoliosis of lumbar region due to degenerative disease of spine in adult [M41.56]
Procedures:
1. Posterior Spinal Arthrodesis, L2-5.
2. Posterior Segmental Instrumentation, Medtronic Solera Screws and Rods, L2-5.
3. Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion, L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5.
4. Intervertebral Disk Cage Placement, Medtronic Catalyft PL 40 Titanium TLIF Cages, L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5.
5. L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5 Laminotomies, Facetectomies, and Foraminotomies.
6. Use of Bone Morphogenic Protein-2.
7. Use of Medtronic Grafton Demineralized Bone Matrix.
8. Use of Cortical Morselized Bone Allograft.
9. Use of Harvested and Decompressed Local Bone Autograft.

Indications: 82 y.o with the above listed diagnoses. She has severe low back and left leg radicular pain that completely interferes with her function. Her symptoms have failed to improve despite extensive conservative management. She is extremely miserable and cannot tolerate her symptoms anymore. After counseling her, the shared decision was made to take her to the operating room for the above listed procedures. She understands the potential risks and benefits of surgery and has agreed to proceed with surgery.

Procedure Details: The patient was seen in the preoperative holding area. She has no known allergy. She was given vancomycin and rocephin then taken to operating room where a time-out was held with the surgical team, the anesthesia team, and the nursing team. We all agreed this was the proper patient and the proper planned operation. She was then given satisfactory general endotracheal anesthesia. Throughout her time in the operating room, sequential compression stockings were used on her legs. Under sterile conditions, a Foley catheter was inserted. We used standard suction. We also used spinal cord monitoring including somatosensory evoked potential monitoring, as well as motor evoked potential monitoring, and EMG monitoring. We used a face holder for head positioning. The patient was then turned from the supine to the prone position on a Jackson prone OR table and all potential pressure points were appropriately padded. Her back was prepped with alcohol, then chlorhexidine, and draped in the usual sterile fashion. A second time-out was held with the surgical team, the anesthesia team, and the nursing team and we again agreed this was the proper patient and the proper planned operation.

We began our procedure by localizing under fluoroscopy to verify the appropriate levels, L2-5. An incision was made along this area. The skin, subcutaneous tissue and deep fascia were incised in line with the skin incision. Subperiosteal dissection was used to dissect the paraspinal musculature off the dorsal arch and this was carried out wide to expose the transverse processes bilaterally from L2-5. We then turned our attention to performing our decompression. Using a combination of Leksell ronguer, Kerrison rongeur, curved curette, and Stryker electric Pi drive drill with a 3mm match stick bur, we first performed left L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5 facetectomies in preparation for our intervertebral disk cage placement. Following this we completed bilateral L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5 laminotomies, facetectomies, and foraminotomies to completely decompress that segment of the spine. After we were satisfied with our decompression, a Valsalva up to 40 was performed and held for 10 seconds and no visible CSF leak was observed.

Next, we turned our attention to completing our posterior segmental instrumentation, placing Medtronic Solera screws, of appropriate size and length, bilaterally from L2-5. I first percutaneously placed a Medtronic marker into the right ilium entering at the right PSIS. Medtronic O-arm was then brought into the room to capture multiplanar images of the patient's lumbar spine anatomy, following which Medtronic navigation system was used to safely and successfully place bilateral Medtronic Solera pedicle screws from L2-5. Screws were placed using the usual technique where once we confirmed our location with the navigation system, we used the high speed bur to drill a starting point followed by which Medtronic gear shift probe was used to cannulate a screw track. At each step, a ball tip probe was used to probe the screw track to ensure that there was an anterior end point and that we had not breached any of our four surrounding walls. Screws of appropriate length and size were placed and all were electrically stimulated using neuromonitoring techniques to ensure no direct contact with any neural elements. All screws tested satisfactory except the right L3 screw, which tested below 10. We, therefore, removed the screw and rechecked our walls and again no breach was appreciated. We, therefore, replaced the screw and checked radiographically and it looked appropriately placed on fluoro.

After we were satisfied with our decompression and posterior instrumentation, we then turned our attention to placing our interbody cages at L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5. I performed left-sided L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5 TLIFs. I used dilators to carefully dilate the disk spaces. I then used endplate preparation devices such as curettes and scrapers to remove the intervertebral disk contents and cartilaginous endplate for interbody arthrodesis. I then delivered from a left-sided transforaminal approach expandable Medtronic Catalyft PL 40 Titanium TLIF Cages and expanded them at each level until they were torqued out due to resistance. I ensured that I did not violate the superior or inferior endplates at any level. I then backfilled the cages with Medtronic grafton DBM fibers through a funnel. I had also pre-packed the disk spaces with 1cc of locally harvested and decompressed bone autograft and a small portion of a BMP sponge to facilitate interbody arthrodesis. The cages were satisfactorily positioned on AP and lateral fluoroscopic imaging. Once we were satisfied with our cage positions, a Valsalva up to 40 was again performed and held for 10 seconds and no visible CSF leak was observed. Neuromonitoring staff tested motor and sensory function throughout the entire procedure and at no point was there any changes from baseline.

We then measured and placed bilateral rods of appropriate length from L2-5, secured them with locking screw caps, and final tightened the screw caps with Medtronic Solera anti-torque screwdriver to the appropriate degree. We then thoroughly irrigated our incision bed with 3L of vancomycin infused NS. There were again no neuromonitoring changes.

Next, we extensively decorticated the transverse processes from L2-5. Following this we laid down BMP-2 soaked collagen sponges, generously packed locally harvested bone autografted and morselized cortical bone allograft bilaterally over our decorticated areas. We were very satisfied after laying down our BMP-2 and bone graft bilaterally. Final AP and lateral x-rays were then taken and it showed good position of the interbody cages, screws and rods, good alignment of the spine, and it showed that the bone graft was in good position bilaterally. Final neuromonitoring testing showed no changes from baseline.

Thank you for any help we can get!

Jodi

This one would not be 22800. I can understand why someone used to doing peds would choose it though. This case is for the stenosis and the spondys, the scoli is a result of the degenerative process. It is uncommon to see the scoli fusion codes for this age group. I have seen it for adults but very uncommon as compared to the "regular" fusion codes because there's usually degenerative stuff going on not just for the deformity. I can't recall seeing them do lamis with those when it did happen. I have seen osteotomy with them. If there is a time when you are not sure you can ask the surgeon to clarify. I have asked what the intent was, deformity correction or degenerative, etc. Spine surgeons are usually some of the best documenters though so it should be clear. The key is the main intent, deformity correction or degenerative.

What you have here is a a PSF/TLIF. 22633, 22634x2, 22853x3, 22842, 63052, 63053x2 . 22800 and 22633 don't hit an edit but you can only code one main fusion CPT.
If the lami is being done for decompression (other than just prepping the interspace) you code it separately. If you look at the full description of 22633 it says (other than for decompression).

See NCCI Manual Chapter 4.F for the one main code info. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/medicare-ncci-policy-manual-2023-chapter-4.pdf "When multiple procedures from one of these families of codes are performed at contiguous vertebral levels, a provider/supplier shall report only one primary code within the family of codes for one level and shall report additional contiguous levels using theAOC(s) in the family of codes. The reported primary code should be the one corresponding tothe spinal region of the first procedure. If multiple procedures from one of these families ofcodes are performed through separate skin incisions at multiple vertebral levels that are not contiguous and in different regions of the spine, the provider/supplier may report one primarycode for each non-contiguous region."

This one would not be 22800. I can understand why someone used to doing peds would choose it though. This case is for the stenosis and the spondys, the scoli is a result of the degenerative process. It is uncommon to see the scoli fusion codes for this age group. I have seen it for adults but very uncommon as compared to the "regular" fusion codes because there's usually degenerative stuff going on not just for the deformity. I can't recall seeing them do lamis with those when it did happen. I have seen osteotomy with them. If there is a time when you are not sure you can ask the surgeon to clarify. I have asked what the intent was, deformity correction or degenerative, etc. Spine surgeons are usually some of the best documenters though so it should be clear. The key is the main intent, deformity correction or degenerative.

What you have here is a a PSF/TLIF. 22633, 22634x2, 22853x3, 22842, 63052, 63053x2 . 22800 and 22633 don't hit an edit but you can only code one main fusion CPT.
If the lami is being done for decompression (other than just prepping the interspace) you code it separately. If you look at the full description of 22633 it says (other than for decompression).

See NCCI Manual Chapter 4.F for the one main code info. https://www.cms.gov/files/document/medicare-ncci-policy-manual-2023-chapter-4.pdf "When multiple procedures from one of these families of codes are performed at contiguous vertebral levels, a provider/supplier shall report only one primary code within the family of codes for one level and shall report additional contiguous levels using theAOC(s) in the family of codes. The reported primary code should be the one corresponding tothe spinal region of the first procedure. If multiple procedures from one of these families ofcodes are performed through separate skin incisions at multiple vertebral levels that are not contiguous and in different regions of the spine, the provider/supplier may report one primarycode for each non-contiguous region."

Thank you so much Amy for your response! This information is excellent and just what I needed. Thank you for explaining this so well! :)