Wiki Spot Vision Screening / Welch Product / Washington State

nsmtpeds4

Best answers
I have a question for you about Spot Vision Testing

My provider currently wants to purchase a Machine Spot Vision Screener, that will do an Eye Test in the Office for providers instead of the snellen chart.

But HCA/DSHS Fee Schedule states code 99177 would need a PA for every time we billed out this code and code 99174

$1.87
$1.87
N

B.R.
B.R.
N
PA

$9.75
$9.75
N

B.R.
B.R.
N
PA

Premera Private insurance states they would pay for 99174 roughly $40.00

My Problem is with CPT CODE 99174 , intstrament based ocular screening (eg photoscreening, automated-refraction), bilateral, with remote analysis and report
when it states remote analysis and report - does that mean the device itself is remote ? and the report that the machine prints ?

because in my mind I should be getting a report from a company remotely ?

PLEASE HELP !!!

Waste of money

We have one in every office. Non of our Medicaid's pay for them because vision is included in our states reimbursement for the epsdt wcc. This is the number one Pt complaint phone call we get from parents since they didn't know vision was excluded from their grandfathered health plan. So balance goes to Patient for non coverage . A few payers reimburse if child is under I think age 3 where they qualify for rationale of not being able to identify numbers and pictures. Since it is just. Screener and if there was an issue they needed to be referred out Anyway. Also to bill it the printout of the report must be scanned into the emr.