Wiki Staying Positive - Some Thoughts For Job Seekers (And Also, Employers)

Mapple080

Best answers
I began applying for jobs in August, right before I started training. Based on advice from my friends in the medical field, and experienced coders, I've applied for every entry level, "foot in the door" position I could find. Jobs like document scanning, data entry, reception desk, phone switchboard, and even housekeeping. Positions that specifically stated in their postings, "no experience necessary" or "at least one year of customer service", "must have working knowledge of computers", etc. Basic jobs. Between then and now (my training has been complete for about a month) I have applied to nearly 60 different positions, with a strong resume, cover letter, references, and a clear objective. Out of all of those jobs, I have received maybe 40 responses, with some variation of "You are not qualified" or no response at all. I even pushed back the date of my CPC exam, to focus on trying to lock down entry level work. I have posted in the forum before, about how I have two decades of retail management experience. And, anyone who has ever been in that particular field can tell you, you have your hands in everything. From banking, to dealing with sensitive information, HR, taxes and payroll, hiring/training personnel, doing paperwork, taking meetings, scheduling, running office equipment, using every computer software program known to man, answering phones. And, complicated things, like supervising packed stores, dealing with hostile customers, assisting large numbers of people at once, managing a staff of 20+ people sometimes, alone. And yes - housekeeping. It's a role that always kept me on my toes. A role where customer service was always the biggest component, thus, the main priority. Yet, in the eyes of hiring reps for healthcare jobs, at least in my area, I am not qualified to answer a phone, process a payment, file papers/records, or deal with clients/patients in a customer service related position. As I prepare to finally sit for my CPC exam - which I am very confident about - I do remain concerned about my chances in the job market. I've heard horror stories from people with 30 years in billing, who couldn't find coding work. And, I've heard horror stories from people like myself and others on this forum, who are new, and genuinely wanted to make a career change, but were not being considered for one reason or another. I'm trying to fight through the doubt and remain optimistic. The bottom line is, you can't get that 3-5 years of experience that most employers are looking for, unless someone gives you a chance. And everyone deserves that chance. Especially if they are serious and legitimately care about being in this industry. And, I'd say 99% of us are! I spent nearly 20 years interviewing, hiring, and training people, and while I took their resumes into consideration, I also looked at their potential. I understood that if someone was applying to work for me, it was because they wanted to, and felt as if they had something to contribute. I always hired people who were motivated, willing to learn, and ready to jump in with both feet, no matter how new or scary it may have been for them. More importantly, I always had respect for people who were trying to make a positive change in their lives, by taking on a new challenge. I hope that anyone in my position, who is struggling, certified yet or not, will keep pushing. Knock on doors, apply to everything, until someone finally says "Yes." And, for anyone looking to hire new coders - be it for actual coding, or for an entry level, "foot in the door" job (because we WANT to work, we WILL take it if it's the right fit!), don't judge them solely on their background. Look at their experiences, see where they've been, where they want to go, and what they could bring to the table. You might come to find out that an ex retail manager, a stay at home mom, or a McDonald's cashier could be a great addition to your team. Newbies, don't ever lose sight of the fact that we have all worked hard to train and earn our certifications. Keep going!

A suggestion for those who are job-seeking

I know it is very difficult to find a job without having the EXACT experience that employers want. I will be doing that myself in the next year.

I have found two books that I think will be helpful as they discuss ways to access the "hidden job market"-- those large numbers of jobs that are filled before they are even posted. Basically the best way to find a job is to get that job BEFORE it is advertised anywhere. These two books (detailed below) are a bit dated, but the networking-type ideas are still very useful. You can find books on Amazon and info from web sites for how to use LinkedIn to network and find employment, so it doesn't bother me that these two books are not totally up-to-date in that area, as I am looking for what activities to do to "get my foot in the door."

Instead of buying these two books, you can borrow them from your public library (since it is possible you won't find them as useful as I have, and I would hate to have you waste your money). If your library doesn't have them, talk to a Reference Librarian in their facility who can likely interlibrary loan them from another library. (As a librarian myself, we do this all the time--just make sure you don't keep them beyond their due dates as that is considered "bad form" and might give your library a black eye when they are requesting ILLs.)
Here are the two items:

Title:Cracking the Hidden Job Market: How to Find Opportunity in Any Economy
Author: Donald Asher
ISBN: 978-1580084949
Publication Date: 2010

Title: Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters 3.0: How to Stand Out from the Crowd and Tap into the Hidden Job Market Using Social Media and 999 other Tactics today
Author: Jay Conrad Levinson and Davide E. Perry
ISBN: 978-1-118-01909-2
DATE: 2011

Also, don't forget to attend your local AAPC chapter religiously (if there is one nearby) and volunteer to help with their events as those members will know about job opening BEFORE they are advertised. I am also a member of AHIMA and find that both organizations are helpful. The student memberships are not as expensive, so it doesn't hurt to take advantage of those lower prices. (Once you get an AAPC certification, you are no longer considered a student, and with AHIMA, I think you can only be a student for two years.... or something like that). For coders, of course, you can't beat AAPC. I am only mentioning AHIMA because you (like me) are coming from another field, and your network in the medical area is more limited. I figure it can't hurt to have membership in both groups for a while.

I know some people have gotten their foot in the door by working with temporary agencies that specialize in healthcare and some have volunteered at local hospitals.

It is very hard to get a reply from those advertised job boards (like Indeed.com or Monster) because those positions may have hundreds of people applying. Their HR departments are weeding out anyone who doesn't have experience, so while it's still a good idea to apply to them--it's a miracle if much happens--so don't get too discouraged if you don't get any replies.

After reading the above two books, I am more hopeful that I can figure out a way to get into this field.

I hope this helps.

Cheryl Wells