• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Steroid Dependent Asthma

cld

Networker
Best answers
Ok, I asked this yesterday, had 10 views, but no replys. I'll try again. I was told to use 493.00; 304.61; E932.0 What do you think, does it work?

Thanks,
cld

eadun2000

Expert
Best answers
Since you do not state what type of asthma or if it is exacerbation or anything like that, I would go with 493.90 and V58.65. I do not think the other codes are needed. He does not have the asthma due to the steroids.

preserene

Best answers
Steroid Dependant Asthma is coded to category 493, asthma, when theer is no mention of a side effect due to the steroid therapy. When side ffect is documented, code both the asthma and the side ffect.
See Steroid in the Index, and for subentry for effects due to correct substance properly administered, 255.8, E932.0.
If using for a long time, why not V code to support?. No harm

Last edited:

ohn0disaster

Expert
Best answers
I, too, do not agree with the codes you were told to use for steroid dependent asthma. Obviously the word dependent threw off whomever was giving you codes to use, in reference to the 304 code your were given. Just like someone with severe COPD could be O2 dependent, cases of severe asthma can be treated with oral steroids. This definitely does not fall under the 304 code range but, rather, merits a V-code as the others suggested. The E-code you were told to use would only be applicable if the steroids were the cause of any adverse effect, not just because the patient must use steroid to control the asthma. So all in all, I agree with using 493.9X and V58.65.

preserene

Best answers
ohn0disaster, I like that. You are smart and sharp. Your presentation is greatly appreciated.
Thank you