• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

stopped sedation in Endo dept and continued under deeper sedation in surgery

Best answers
I need help....
Have a patient that started in procedures room in the Endo department for a Colonoscopy with a biopsy. The patient was given versed and benedryl and the patient became more aggitated. So the procedure was not done, patient was then moved into an OR room and put into a deeper sedation and the procedure 45380-PT was performed.

Problem: I have a revenue center 360 for the OR time with the code 45380 but I also have a charge for the Endo dept (750 revenue center) for a level one acuity (procedures are entered by acuity then coded). Of course my billing module wants a CPT for the 750 revenue code but when I sent to the coding dept they stated that there was no procedure to code. I asked if the sedation could be coded 99144 under 750 rev center and I was told and confirmed the "99144 would be the CPT code for the sedation, but since the sedation is a component of the procedure, it is not coded separately." So now what do I do with this charge from Endo that I can get no procedure code for?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Sarah CPC-H-A