Wiki Subacromial Bursa & Glenohumeral Joint Injections

acohn1986

Contributor
Best answers
Has anyone billed a subacromial bursa and glenohumeral joint injection together? These are 2 seperate areas of the shoulder with 2 different reasons for the injection. It seems you should be able to bill 2 20610's? Everything I have been able to find about 20610 seems like you can only bill it once per location?

shoulder joint injection and subacromial bursa injection

I have seen it billed on the same side as; shoulder joint (glenohumeral) injection and subacromial bursa injection. Two units billed separately with the 59 modifier. So I think you should be able to bill two units of 20610 for that situation.
P. Sue Vorass, CPC
Independent Coding Service

We have billed this successfully. Use a modifier 59 on the second injection, in addition to the lt or rt. If possible use two different Dx codes.

If it happens to be denied as a duplicate usually a quick phone call to the insurance company explaining it was two separate injections is enough to get them to submit a correction without needed to rebill. We often have to call for 2 large joint injections on the same side of the body (ex. shoulder and knee) as well, even went ICD9 clearly indicates the body parts.