Wiki Surgical access site requiring reconstruction??

dmcvinney

Contributor
Best answers
Hi, all,

Patient had orbital fracture, doctor had to access the fracture via the canthus. Doc billed for fracture repair and Canthoplasty.

I felt funny about billing for the canthoplasty, since there was no injury to the canthus; it was just used as access for repair, so I discussed it with the doc. He feels the canthoplasty billing is appropriate.

He said that:
-in this particular patient's case it was necessary to access the fracture via the canthus
-more than simple closure was required, he actually had to reconstruct the canthus in order to finish the repair
-in situations like these he does not always have to do a Canthoplasty (or access in this way), but in this patient's case it was necessary
He asked that I bill the canthoplasty in addition to the orbital fracture repair.

Perhaps this is akin to excision of lesions where, if more than simple closure is needed, a physician is instructed in CPT to bill the intermediate or complex repair codes in addition to the lesion removal?

What are your thoughts? Has anyone encountered this situation? Not bundled. . .and as always, written references supporting your thinking are appreciated, if you know of any.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
Diane Mcvinney, CPC, OCS
Billing Manager, Jones Eye Institute
University of AR for Medical Sciences
DLMcvinney@...
-------------------------------------------