Wiki Telehealth in behavioral health

jkemp

Best answers
With everything under an emergency shutting down due to the Coronavirus, our office is looking at doing Telehealth for patients. From what I have read so far we are able to code as normal but use modifiers and change the place of service to 02 instead of 11,office. Or do I have to use the non-face-to-face nonphysician services codes? I am unsure if a new patient service is possible with Telehealth. Does anyone know the answer to these?

For telehealth, there are lists available of CPT codes that are acceptable. For the moment telehealth still needs to follow all the requirements set out in the IOM. Check with your MAC and Medicaid; that is where I found the CPT lists. Our (Indiana) state medicaid authorities working with the state mental health association are in contact with CMS about waivers for the originating site to be a patient home and including phone calls under telehealth (currently only audio/visual communications qualify). Still waiting for updates on these.

With everything under an emergency shutting down due to the Coronavirus, our office is looking at doing Telehealth for patients. From what I have read so far we are able to code as normal but use modifiers and change the place of service to 02 instead of 11,office. Or do I have to use the non-face-to-face nonphysician services codes? I am unsure if a new patient service is possible with Telehealth. Does anyone know the answer to these?
I know you bill with your normal cpt codes , use the 95 modifier and change location to 02. Our big issue is doing telemed if those people don't have the benefit thru their insurance carrier. We are trying to find out if carriers/government are making allowances to provide telemed for clients for behavioral health visits. They are making changes for insureds to do telemed if they are sick, but is it extended to therapy. Anyone know the answer?

Its my understanding we can bill both New/Established Med Management and Psychotherapy
Does anyone know if G2012 is for phone calls only?

Anyone from MN on here. I am struggling with HP and their direction.... Append the GT modifier along with the POS of 02. But I have other insurances saying not to append the GT. They will process it as informational although we work with the state on auths and this could lead us in a pickle. I may just have to wait on hold awhile tomorrow when I call.

I am in Nebraska and this will be the first week our Behavioral Health providers start telehealth. My concern is coding and coverage. Can we use the normal E & M codes 99212 thru 99214 for followup med management services with a modifier and 02 POS? Our providers are concerned about documentation in regards to vitals, etc. Since the patients will more than likely be in their own home setting, my opinion is that vitals will just not be a part of the visit. Is that correct?

I am in Nebraska and this will be the first week our Behavioral Health providers start telehealth. My concern is coding and coverage. Can we use the normal E & M codes 99212 thru 99214 for followup med management services with a modifier and 02 POS? Our providers are concerned about documentation in regards to vitals, etc. Since the patients will more than likely be in their own home setting, my opinion is that vitals will just not be a part of the visit. Is that correct?

Yes you are correct. When I worked in psychiatry, we did not take vitals. We took weight only if a patient was on a medication that affected weight gain/loss.