Wiki Telehealth - Incident to ?

glielmia

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Incident-to Telehealth Supervision - Is this an approach open to us during the Covid emergency that we use to bill out supervising MD rates instead of NP?

CMS has relaxed the definition of direct supervision during the emergency to allow providers to supervise staff using technology rather than having to be present in the building. Except for this change in supervision though, all other requirements of 'incident to' billing must still be met in order to bill a service under the supervising MD, as far as I'm aware.

"For telehealth services that need to be personally provided by a physician, such as an E/M visit, the physician would need to personally perform the E/M visit and report that service as a Medicare telehealth service.... Other services, including both face-to-face and non-face-to-face services, could be provided incident to a physicians’ service by a nurse or other auxiliary personnel, as long as the billing practitioner is providing appropriate supervision through audio/video real-time communications technology (or in person), when needed....

For the reasons discussed above, on an interim basis for the duration of the PHE for the COVID-19 pandemic, we are altering the definition of direct supervision..to state that necessary presence of the physician for direct supervision includes virtual presence through audio/video real-time communications technology when use of such technology is indicated to reduce exposure risks for the beneficiary or health care provider."

You can find the full statement of the new guidance here:

Last edited:
Is it allowable for a APRN to bill out under a different APRN due to training in telehealth? This is for commercial and Medicaid- not Medicare.

Telehealth or not, NPPs may not bill incident to another. Incident to is for NPPs billing under physician.
The claim should be billed under the APRN who rendered the service, even if another APRN was present to teach him/her about telehealth.

Good morning everyone,
I am trying to find verbiage under CMS and elsewhere to see if these relaxed rules still apply. Can someone please direct me or confirm if Telehealth services may still be provided under Incident-to scenarios? Thank you in advance.

Good morning everyone,
I am trying to find verbiage under CMS and elsewhere to see if these relaxed rules still apply. Can someone please direct me or confirm if Telehealth services may still be provided under Incident-to scenarios? Thank you in advance.
From Thomas' post above, "on an interim basis for the duration of the PHE for the COVID-19 pandemic".
The current PHE is extended through at least October 13, 2022.

Good afternoon Christine,

Thank you for prompt response. I truly do appreciate your input and confirmation. I shall relay the information to my team.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of your day.

Hello, does anyone have any updated information on this subject. I'm wanting to code for Behavioral health services performed by video/telephone where the supervising physician wouldn't be present. Due to it being a Telehealth service. I'm also curious about an addendum being prepared for these services, will it be necessary??? Any assistance is helpful...

Hello, does anyone have any updated information on this subject. I'm wanting to code for Behavioral health services performed by video/telephone where the supervising physician wouldn't be present. Due to it being a Telehealth service. I'm also curious about an addendum being prepared for these services, will it be necessary??? Any assistance is helpful...
From CMS:
To allow more people to receive care during the PHE, CMS temporarily changed the definition of “direct supervision” to allow the supervising health care professional to be immediately available through virtual presence using real-time audio/video technology instead of requiring their physical presence. CMS also clarified that the temporary exception to allow immediate availability for direct supervision through virtual presence also facilitates the provision of telehealth services by clinical staff “incident to” the professional services of physicians and other practitioners. This flexibility will expire on December 31, 2023.
www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-sheets/cms-waivers-flexibilities-and-transition-forward-covid-19-public-health-emergency