Wiki Telehealth interrupted

rcj0401

Contributor
Best answers
What would you code/bill (I'm with an FQHC in AR) a telehealth virtual visit where connection was lost and ended up just being a telephonic visit? Would it depend on the time of each? What about a modifier? (I'm thinking reduced service maybe?) Any help would be appreciated.

Seeing as CMS has allowed reimbursement for 99441-99443, our organization has allowed the initial interrupted video/audio call that transferred into just audio to be billed as 99441-99443 as that is really the essence of an E/M telephone call. Also, the pay structure is much more forgiving than the G2012. Using 99441-99443 requires the total time of call and it would be prudent to mention the dropped video/audio portion of the visit in documentation as well as the rest of the normally documented components of E/M.

Peace
@_*

Seeing as CMS has allowed reimbursement for 99441-99443, our organization has allowed the initial interrupted video/audio call that transferred into just audio to be billed as 99441-99443 as that is really the essence of an E/M telephone call. Also, the pay structure is much more forgiving than the G2012. Using 99441-99443 requires the total time of call and it would be prudent to mention the dropped video/audio portion of the visit in documentation as well as the rest of the normally documented components of E/M.

Peace
@_*
I agree, if the audio/visual visit gets interrupted and turns in to audio only we have been billing 99441-99443