Wiki Telehealth Place of Service Codes 02 or 10

turbo1004

New
Best answers
What POS do we use if patients consider living out of their car or tent their home? I have spoken to Medicare rep and she indicated to use POS 10 due to the definition of "home" in this article.
https://www.cms.gov/files/document/...th-update-medicare-physician-fee-schedule.pdf

"patient's home includes temporary lodging such as hotels, homeless shelters or other temporary lodging".

Any thoughts or guidance on this?

Thank you!

I would agree with POS 10. My personal opinion is the the descriptors of the POS codes can be misleading. POS 10 generally means not a facility. POS 10 would apply to anywhere the patient is living, in addition to workplace and a variety of others. There was a FAQ or additional reference about this I need to locate.

Located!! My MAC (NGS) came out with this fact sheet stating:
"If the patient receives the telehealth service from a location that is not a facility they would normally receive care, such as their car or work, then POS 10 would be appropriate based on this description provided by CMS in the final rule."
I believe the intent is 02 is for when a patient is in a facility where they would receive healthcare. 10 would be when a patient is located other than a hospital/facility where they would receive care (with home simply being an example). The problem is that CMS defines home as "a location other than a hospital or other facility where the patient receives care in a private residence." All other English speaking people would define their home as "where I live/reside."
NGS specifically states patient in their car is POS 10 giving the CMS final rule as their reference. Sure, I'll just read all 2709 awkwardly worded pages in my spare time.

Located!! My MAC (NGS) came out with this fact sheet stating:
"If the patient receives the telehealth service from a location that is not a facility they would normally receive care, such as their car or work, then POS 10 would be appropriate based on this description provided by CMS in the final rule."
I believe the intent is 02 is for when a patient is in a facility where they would receive healthcare. 10 would be when a patient is located other than a hospital/facility where they would receive care (with home simply being an example). The problem is that CMS defines home as "a location other than a hospital or other facility where the patient receives care in a private residence." All other English speaking people would define their home as "where I live/reside."
NGS specifically states patient in their car is POS 10 giving the CMS final rule as their reference. Sure, I'll just read all 2709 awkwardly worded pages in my spare time.
It is definitely clear as mud! Our MAC - Noridian called me back to my surprise and recommended using POS 10 as well.