Wiki Telemedicine -

ppierce1258

Best answers
I want to know if billing the E&M and G2012 for telephone Audio only services is billed together? Medicare, UPMC, Aetna the provider bills time based 99441 to 99443. The other carries Highmark, United has Face to face, E&M levels.
After the provider adds in their in time based charges, then I am to add the G20121 in turn that generates an additional charge.

is this correct ?

Hi there, G2012 isn't an add-on for the telephone-only E/M codes and it isn't strictly a telephone service. It can be used for any "technology-based" exchange between a doctor or patient (secure email, practice portal, telephone, etc) that lasts at least 5 minutes.

I am to use both or one or the other , If G2012 is not an add on code it should not be reported with the E&M phone" visit" if over 5 minutes?

Different carriers have differing policies on this.
GENERALLY, telephone (audio only) visits are billed as 99441-99443 with the level determined only by the amount of time spent by clinician with the patient.
G2012 is typically used for other technology based check ins (like a portal, secure email, etc).
E/M 99211-99205 usually require real time audio/video and the level may be determined by MDM or total clinician time that calendar day.
You would not bill G2012 along with either telephone 99441-99443 or audio/video 99211-99205.
G2012 Brief communication technology-based service, e.g. virtual check-in, by a physician or other qualified health care professional who can report evaluation and management services, provided to an established patient, not originating from a related e/m service provided within the previous 7 days nor leading to an e/m service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 5-10 minutes of medical discussion.
You should confirm (and get it in writing) each of your particular carrier's requirements for these types of services. Their websites are a great place to start.