Wiki Telemedicine to out of state patients

carriganm

Networker
Best answers
I had one of our providers reach out to me and ask, "can I provide a video office visit with a patient who has moved outside of our state?"

We are currently in Oregon and we have patients that want to continue care with our providers but they are permanently moving outside the state of Oregon. I am trying to figure out if our providers, even though not licensed in the state the patient resides, can still continue "seeing" these patients via telemedicine?

Any insight or links to resources would be extremely appreciated.

This actually depends on the state where the patient is located. Technically, the provider will practicing medicine in that state. During covid, many states that were overwhelmed lifted restrictions to allow additional providers to treat patients in their state.

If the telemedicine is related to Covid-19, then I believe it is permitted across the board by HHS.

This can be a rather complex legal issue. My personal opinion is that in absence of legal advice, I would recommend against it. And it may not be worth your efforts to pay a lawyer a few hundred dollars to see a patient 3 times per year via telemedicine.

This actually depends on the state where the patient is located. Technically, the provider will practicing medicine in that state. During covid, many states that were overwhelmed lifted restrictions to allow additional providers to treat patients in their state.

If the telemedicine is related to Covid-19, then I believe it is permitted across the board by HHS.

This can be a rather complex legal issue. My personal opinion is that in absence of legal advice, I would recommend against it. And it may not be worth your efforts to pay a lawyer a few hundred dollars to see a patient 3 times per year via telemedicine.
Great information. Thank you so much.

Wondering how this works when we have a patient that lives in the state our providers practice but they are traveling? For example, they have a consult via telemedicine while on a trip, provider calls in an rx for them at a nearby pharmacy out of state. Is this typically just a clause within the providers licensure contract, or would this not be allowed either?