Wiki Telemedicine+covid testing on-site?

sjooemmy08

Networker
Best answers
Hello all, I have a problem and hope someone can help me out here. I know it may sound dumb.

So, one of our patients had close contact with covid-19 and wanted to see the doctor.
He drove to our clinic and had telemedicine at the parking lot with the doctor, then the doctor went out to him and the specimen was collected for the PCR test.

Can the visit and specimen collecting be submitted with POS 11 or 2?

Hello, The visit itself was telemedicine which I believe now the POS has changed, not sure if it's only for Medicare or not. If the patient is elsewhere besides home, the POS would be 02, if the patient was at home the POS would be 10 for the telemedicine...Per update only(please correct if I may be wrong). The specimen will most likely be separate. I work in a facility that does testing and vaccines as well (FQHC).

Please, our seasoned coders, let us know if we are doing this correct. Thanks in advance!

Actually, if the patient was in your parking lot, it is NOT considered telehealth per CMS and is billed exactly the same as in person.
From CMS COVID-19 FAQ: Section P Q9
Question: Should on-site visits conducted via video or through a window in the clinic suite be reported as telehealth services? How could a physician or practitioner bill if this were telehealth?
Answer: Services should only be reported as telehealth services when the individual physician or practitioner furnishing the service is not at the same location as the beneficiary. If the physician or practitioner furnished the service from a place other than where the beneficiary is located (a “distant site”), they should report those services as telehealth services. If the beneficiary and the physician or practitioner furnishing the service are in the same institutional setting but are utilizing telecommunications technology to furnish the service due to exposure risks, the practitioner would not need to report this service as telehealth and should instead report whatever code described the in-person service furnished.
New: 4/9/20

Good morning,

Another question regarding POS 02 and POS 10.... guidance would suggest that you would use POS 10 for patient's who are seen via telehealth in their own private residence, however, we have a large population of homelessness, they are housed at shelters/hotels, some live in tents, cars, etc., which would be considered their "residence", which POS would be used for this? I was hoping for a broader explanation perhaps. Thank you!

Actually, if the patient was in your parking lot, it is NOT considered telehealth per CMS and is billed exactly the same as in person.
From CMS COVID-19 FAQ: Section P Q9
Question: Should on-site visits conducted via video or through a window in the clinic suite be reported as telehealth services? How could a physician or practitioner bill if this were telehealth?
Answer: Services should only be reported as telehealth services when the individual physician or practitioner furnishing the service is not at the same location as the beneficiary. If the physician or practitioner furnished the service from a place other than where the beneficiary is located (a “distant site”), they should report those services as telehealth services. If the beneficiary and the physician or practitioner furnishing the service are in the same institutional setting but are utilizing telecommunications technology to furnish the service due to exposure risks, the practitioner would not need to report this service as telehealth and should instead report whatever code described the in-person service furnished.
New: 4/9/20

Thank you very much! you saved me!