Wiki Temporary Hip Spacers with Femoral componet stem and head only

Chickadee

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

Was wondering what others are billing for these Temporary Hip Spacer with Gentamicin and Vancomycin (Osteo Remedy). This sx consist of placing a femoral stem and a femoral head. They stay in body for up to 180 days made of acrylic. used for infected post total hip.

Would you use cpt code 27138 ? Cpt 11981 doesn't cover this work involved.
Appreciate any advice.

Thank you;-)

Does the provider remove the total hip prosthesis in addition to inserting the spacer? If so, I would code it as 27091 and 11981. Reference

CPT 27138 is incorrect as this code (as well as 27134) are to be used when the removal and replacement of the prosthesis are performed during the same session.

set_apart is correct

The surgeon is going to take out the infected joint implant before placing the spacer. So you have to see what was done during surgery and add the spacer to that code.

2nd set of Temporary acrylic hip spacers replacement

First thank you for answering....

What I forgot to mention is that this is the 1st Temporary Hip Spacer being removed, now being replaced with another Temporary acrylic hip spacer.

With that being said I'm thinking that 27091 wouldn't apply because it wasn't a real/permanent prosthesis Dr took out. I can't use 27138 because it's not the permanent component.....Maybe I'm over thinking this ??

This is a vrey rare situation

Usually one or both permanent implants are removed and a spacer placed. Very rare to remove a spacer and then just replace it with a spacer.

If that is all that was done I would look at codes 11981 & 11982.

Thank you for providing additional clarification. I agree that this is rare but not completely unheard of. Depending on what's documented, I would code 27030 or 27033 and 11983.

Thank you for providing additional clarification. I agree that this is rare but not completely unheard of. Depending on what's documented, I would code 27030 or 27033 and 11983.

I would agree with Set Apart for the arthrotomy and then 11983.

sx coder and set_apart are correct with 27030 (hip) and 11983, our physicians do this procedure often for chronic prosthetic joint infections.