Wiki Tonsil Injection

saramary0908@yahoo.com

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Patient present's with Eagle's Syndrome and we performed an injection of lidocaine with epinephrine into left tonsil. I cannot find an appropriate cpt code if there is one to appropriately fit, or would this just be included in the E/M code? Thank you for any help!!!

Can you provide some info on "Eagle's Syndrome" and how it affects a tonsil? What was the purpose of the injection?
Just a shot-in-the-dark (HA!) but wouldn't this be a subq injection if the epi has a therapeutic affect?

There isn't a CPT code for an injection of a tonsil. I would use CPT code 42999 - Unlisted procedure, pharynx, adenoids, or tonsils. This is not something that is inclusive to an E&M service.

The tonsil is not a subcutaneous structure so coding as that type of injection would be incorrect, in my opinion. SQ/IM injections are routinely performed by non-physician office staff, whereas an injection into a tonsil is something that would require physician skill and would be a higher valued procedure.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that oral injections are considered subq - wish I could remember where I saw that, if I did really read it. Thanks for clearing it up.

Eagle syndrome is a rare condition that creates pain in your face or neck. This pain comes from problems with either the styloid process or stylohyoid ligament. The styloid process is a small, pointy bone just below your ear. The stylohyoid ligament connects it to the hyoid bone in your neck.