Wiki total bilateral thyroid lobe rctomy

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
would a total bilateral thyroid lobectomy cpt code 60220 be considered a total thyroidectomy 60240 - cpt code 60220 says unilateral

would a total bilateral thyroid lobectomy cpt code 60220 be considered a total thyroidectomy 60240 - cpt code 60220 says unilateral

Since the thyroid has only two lobes (one on each side), if both lobes were removed (bilateral), I would use 60240.

We all know that lobectomy is different from Thyroidectomy. If both side total lobectomy is done, there is an ISTHUMIAL PORTION OF the thyroid left (unless the surgeon documents that the isthmus also removed). In that case, it is needless to say it is total/complete thyroidectomy ; he could very well document it as Total Thyroidectomy.
It seems he did either bilateral lobectomy leaving the Isthumus, or total thyroid lobectomy ,unilateral with contralateral subtotal lobectomy, including isthmusectomy- in which case, it would go for 60225.
Better you would have to query your Surgeon regarding this, if you would code 60225.
I wish there was a code for Subtotal thyroidectomy.
It occurs to my mind another option- why don't we report it as 60220-52, if isthmus is left???!!!!

Thank you!