Wiki Tracing definition

bforr

Networker
Best answers
Hello all,

In the data reviewed table of most audit tools, there are 2 points available for "independent visualization of image, tracing, or specimen". I have always been taught that a tracing is the squiggly line that you see on an EKG. I have a endocrinologist who insists that the graphs that are present on their glucometer reports count as a tracing, and they should receive 2 points for it. My fellow auditors, coders, and manager all agree that the glucometer report does not count as an independent visualization of a tracing, but we are having a difficult time finding backup. Does anyone have something from AMA, CMS, or any commercial payer that can help us resolve this one way or the other? Thank you!

I agree that reading a glucometer report is not an "independent visualization". According to the Study Guide for CEMC Evaluation & Management..."Two points would be given for the independent or second interpretation of an image, tracing or specimen and again: this is not just the review of the report but of the actual film image or tracing." So the physician has to review an actual image and tracing previously interpreted by another provider and then give their own independent read agreeing or disagreeing with the formal interpretation. It needs to be from an outside physician, and not just a test that the provider performs in their own office (such as their own glucometer). That is not the intent of those two data points.

I was also able to find a good source in the CMS Evaluation and Management Services Guide. On page 82 referring to the complexity of data..."On occasion the physician who ordered a test may personally review the image, tracing or specimen to supplement information from the physician who prepared the test report or interpretation; this is another indication of the complexity of data being reviewed." So in order to claim those two data points the physician has to review the previous provider's formal report, independently view the imaging, tracing or specimen, and then provide their own assessment. I hope this helps. :)