Wiki Traumatic BKA ?

cwestman

Networker
Best answers
I've never coded for surgical procedures before but was asked to look at a denial pt had a BKA for a non healing diabetic ulcer of leg and foot ,Procedure was Guillotine.Would this qualify as traumatic? sounds pretty traumatic even under sedation I'm not finding any other usable code
Cheri

A nonhealing ulcer is not trauma. You code the diabetic complication and the ulcer as the medical necessity. What codes did you use?

need to ICD for surgical service

Right BKA performed by guillotine , NIDDM /ulcers were none healing now no longer exist. Surgeon hasn't responded to query nor does documentation support severe sepsis was post surgical complication or the reason for the for the right BKA So wondering if I could use S88.111A?

No you cannot use a trauma code for a disease related condition. If it is a nonhealing diabetic ulcer you need to use the code for diabetes complicated by skin ulcer or foot ulcer depending on location.. then use a code for the ulcer by severity. or is this a post amputation surgery due to complications?
There is nothing here to prompt the use of a trauma code.
I am not sure what you mean by the ulcers no longer exist your first post indicated the denial was for the BKA performed due to non healing diabetic ulcers.
So this is either the original surgery for the ulcers or it is a procedure due to a post operative complication??