Wiki Trulicity (dulaglutide) coding

jfolz

Networker
Best answers
Hi,
I was wondering how everyone was coding the use of Trulicity for type II diabetes patients? It was listed as an injectable drug -but not an insulin product- in my patient's chart. The codes I have found for diabetes meds were :

Long term (current) use of insulin- Z97.4 (It isn't insulin)
Oral antidiabetic/ hypoglycemic drugs-Z79.84 (Not an oral med)
Presence of insulin pump- Z96.41 (Not administered via pump)

Am I overlooking a code?
Thanks!

Hi,
I was wondering how everyone was coding the use of Trulicity for type II diabetes patients? It was listed as an injectable drug -but not an insulin product- in my patient's chart. The codes I have found for diabetes meds were :

Long term (current) use of insulin- Z97.4 (It isn't insulin)
Oral antidiabetic/ hypoglycemic drugs-Z79.84 (Not an oral med)
Presence of insulin pump- Z96.41 (Not administered via pump)

Am I overlooking a code?
Thanks!
HI, was just wondering why you wouldn't use the E code for the patients diabetic condition?

Maybe this will help?

"In the Chapter 4 Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Disease, the following was added regarding diabetic drug administration: “If the patient is treated with both insulin and an injectable non-insulin antidiabetic drug, assign codes Z79.4, Long-term (current) use of insulin, and Z79.899, Other long term (current) drug therapy. If the patient is treated with both oral hypoglycemic drugs and an injectable non-insulin antidiabetic drug, assign codes Z79.84, Long-term (current) use of oral hypoglycemic drugs, and Z79.899, Other long-term (current) drug therapy.”

Injectable non-insulin anti-diabetic drugs:

• Liraglutide (Victoza) once daily injection
  • Exenatide (Byetta) twice daily injection
  • Exenatide extended release pen (Bydureon) once weekly injection
  • Albigltide (Tanzeum) once weekly injection
  • Dulaglutide (Trulicity) once weekly injection"

Maybe this will help?

"In the Chapter 4 Endocrine, Nutritional and Metabolic Disease, the following was added regarding diabetic drug administration: “If the patient is treated with both insulin and an injectable non-insulin antidiabetic drug, assign codes Z79.4, Long-term (current) use of insulin, and Z79.899, Other long term (current) drug therapy. If the patient is treated with both oral hypoglycemic drugs and an injectable non-insulin antidiabetic drug, assign codes Z79.84, Long-term (current) use of oral hypoglycemic drugs, and Z79.899, Other long-term (current) drug therapy.”

Injectable non-insulin anti-diabetic drugs:

• Liraglutide (Victoza) once daily injection
  • Exenatide (Byetta) twice daily injection
  • Exenatide extended release pen (Bydureon) once weekly injection
  • Albigltide (Tanzeum) once weekly injection
  • Dulaglutide (Trulicity) once weekly injection"
It did help and I appreciate your answer :)