Wiki Two surgeons performing different surgeries on the same patient, sequentially

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
Hi everyone,

Hoping for some guidance on this, from all the Gen surgery coders in the thread!

I was reading an op report, and the surgeon performed a Robotic low anterior resection, along with a rigid sigmoidoscopy, for a patient with sigmoid diverticulitis. Would you code this as 44207 and 45300?

Also, in reading the surgeon's note, I see a notation at the beginning of the note, stating:
"Dr. Grace NotOurDoctor did a cystoscopy with placement of bilateral ureteral catheters and ICG injection into the ureters bilaterally. Following this, the arms were tucked, patient secured to the bed, the abdomen was prepped and draped in the usual fashion. We entered the abdomen using a Veress needle technique....."
Would this impact your code selection? This Dr. Grace did not assist our surgeon in any portion of his surgery.

thank you!

Two surgeons performing distinct procedures (not assisting, not co-surgeons) on the same patient on the same day do not generally adjust the coding.
IF you feel it's appropriate, you may consider using -52 to indicate a reduced procedure. It doesn't seem appropriate in this case, but could be appropriate if Dr. A, did their surgery, then Dr. B did a procedure, and Dr. A also closed and performed post op care/discharge orders, etc. Dr. B could consider -52 since they did less work on this particular case.

Two surgeons performing distinct procedures (not assisting, not co-surgeons) on the same patient on the same day do not generally adjust the coding.
IF you feel it's appropriate, you may consider using -52 to indicate a reduced procedure. It doesn't seem appropriate in this case, but could be appropriate if Dr. A, did their surgery, then Dr. B did a procedure, and Dr. A also closed and performed post op care/discharge orders, etc. Dr. B could consider -52 since they did less work on this particular case.
thank you. Would you say the two codes were correct?

Not my area of expertise, but the codes are not NCCI edits and seem correct with the very limited description provided.