Wiki unbundling surgery / trauma

ksrkelly7

Networker
Best answers
Hi all,

I am having a dispute with one of my trauma surgeons regarding unbundling. He billed CPT 49000 and 20102 for the following surgery. CCI edits have a 1 for the 20102. I think he should only bill the 49000, but he disagrees. Any thoughts?

Indication for Surgery
Gunshot wound to the left lower flank

Preoperative Diagnosis
Same

Postoperative Diagnosis
Gunshot wound to the left lower flank with moderate size rectus sheet hematoma

Operation
#1 exploratory laparotomy
#2 exploration of gunshot wound debridement and irrigation

Anesthesia
Gen. endotracheal anesthesia

Estimated Blood Loss
Minimal

Urine Output
Not applicable

Findings
Rectus sheath hematoma of the right side no violation of the intra-abdominal cavity.

Specimen(s)
None

Complications
None

Technique
This is a 29-year-old gentleman with a single gunshot wound to the left lower flank entrance wound is on the anterior abdomen exit wound posterior flank. Patient came hemodynamically stable however increased abdominal pain in the trauma resuscitation room necessitating exploratory laparotomy for the possibility of violation of the abdominal domain. Patient was taken urgently to the operative theater placed in supine position surgical timeout was done to identify patient location as well as operation be done. Perioperative antibiotics were administered. A midline incision was then made the abdomen was entered upon entering the abdomen there is no evidence of blood or violation of the anterior abdominal wall. The cecum was evaluated with no evidence of any injury. The wounds were explored no evidence of violation of the intra-abdominal domain via exploration of the wounds. The wounds were copiously irrigated with Betadine soaked irrigation. The abdomen was closed with running looped PDS. Prior to closure sponge and needle counts were correct ?2. The skin was approximated using staples. Patient tolerated procedure well and returned to recovery extubated in stable condition.

Surgical Sweep Complete (Yes/No/Not Applicable)
Yes

Disposition
PACU

Follow up plan
Admit to medical surgical floor for further evaluation and resuscitation.

Thanks for your help,

Kelly

Kelly,

As I understand-CPT 20102 is for exploration of a penetrating wound WITHOUT a laparotomy. You would not bill both 49000 and 20102 in the scenario above.
Tina

Ex laps can never be billed with any other procedure because the ex lap has to be done in order to find out if any internal structures or organs are damaged. You can always use the CCI edits manual for the surgeons information.

unbundling

Hi
I would bill both with a 59 on the 20102 if he is exploring the gunshot wound to check for bleeding and or to debride/ repair damaged tissue. the laparotomy is billed seperatly since its a new incision site
I may be wrong but this is what the edits say on the 20102 code
Traumatic Wound - (20100-20103)
INCLUDES:

Debridement

Expanded dissection of wound for exploration

Extraction of foreign material

Open examination

Tying or coagulation of small vessels

EXCLUDES:

Cutaneous/subcutaneous incision and drainage procedures (10060-10061)

Laparotomy (49000-49010)

Repair of major vessels of:

Abdomen (35221, 35251, 35281)

Chest (35211, 35216, 35241, 35246, 35271, 35276)

Extremity (35206-35207, 35226, 35236, 35256, 35266, 35286)

Neck (35201, 35231, 35261)

Thoracotomy (32100-32160