• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Unlisted Code vs. TKA Revision

pjhancock

Contributor
Best answers
Patient had total knee arthroplasty, 2 days later went back to OR for wound dehiscence and large hematoma interarticularly. Hematoma was debrided with rongeur, joint was irrigated and then polyethylene liner was removed and replaced with a new one and the wound once again irrigated. 27599 is the code listed. I am wondering if the polyethylene liner exchange is considered part of the tibial component and if so, would 27486 be the code to use instead of the unlisted one?

pjhancock

Contributor
Best answers
I really need help with this one!!!

Ok, now I'm doubting all of it - and thinking maybe 27301 or 27310 would be a better fit.
I can type in more of the dictation if needed, but my original question pretty well sums it up.

christinnagle

Networker
Best answers
Polyliner exchange

Per a 2012 AAOS meeting: "removal of tibial tray and replacement of liner should be billed as 27486-52". Hope that helps.