• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Upcoding

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Upcoding is coding a higher level of service that what is rendered. Also using a dx code for a payable condition rather that for what is documented is regarded as upcoding.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
billing a level 99214 when the documentation supports a 99213 is upcoding the visit level.
billing a 20553 when the provider injected only 2 different muscles is upcoding from a 20552.
Using 238.2 dx code instead of the 709.9 in order to obtain reimbursement when the payer would not pay for the 709.9 code.
I am not certain what the confusion is on this, do you have a more specific issue?

Suriya Narayanan

Contributor
Best answers
Thanks a lot Debra A. Mitchell . Now i'm more clear on this .
Chart warrant for Critical Care and provider does not document Critical care time and Coder coded that chart as level 5 and educate Provider.
Shall i consider this scenario as upcoding???

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Maybe, it will depend on the documentation. To bill a level 5 the provider must document all the elements of a level 5. You cannot just use a level 5 because the provider calls it critical care without time documentation. so using the E&M guidelines and either Er levels or inpatient or what set is appropriate for the setting, you must be able to arrive at a solid level 5 in order to be able to code and bill it, if not then yes that is upcoding.