Wiki using 99700 for implants to commercial payers - It HAS JUST BEEN SUGESTED

jennburgel

Networker
Best answers
It HAS JUST BEEN SUGESTED TO ME AS A BILLER BY ANOTHER BILLER TO USE 99700 FOR OUR IMPLANTS TO COMM PAYERS IE: AETNA , TO GET PAID FOR IMPLANTS. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS CODE AND CANNOT FIND IT ANYWHERE. I USE L8699 MOSTLY. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS.

Incorrect code, maybe typo from them?

The correct code I believe they meant for you to use is 99070. This code is considered a generic or dump-all code when no other specified code is found in CPT or HCPC. Below is Aetna's policy on how to submit claims for items billed with no specified code found and what to use.

Per Aetna policy on Clean Claim requirements: Physicians, Practitioners, and Providers when submitting claims using 1500 forms.

All Unlisted/Unspecified Codes
Include a complete written description of the procedure and written report for all unlisted/unspecified codes. See the requirements below for the following specific codes.

All Unlisted Anesthesia Codes
For example: CPT 01999-Unlisted anesthesia procedure
Submit complete description of the procedure including operative report

All Unlisted Surgical Procedures
For example: CPT 19499-Unlisted procedure, breast
Submit complete description of the procedure including operative report

All Unlisted Radiology/Imaging Procedures
For example: CPT 78799-Unlisted genitourinary procedure, diagnostic

All Unlisted Laboratory Procedures
For example: CPT 84999-Unlisted chemistry procedure
Submit complete description of the procedure including report

All Unlisted Medical Procedures & Supplies
For example: CPT 93799-Unlisted cardiovascular service or procedure; CPT 99070-Supplies and materials (except spectacles), provided by the physician over and above those usually included with the office visit or other services rendered (list drugs, trays, supplies, or materials provided) Submit complete description of procedure including office notes and report.

All Unclassified Drug Codes
For example: HCPCS J3490-Unlisted drugs
State the NDC code, name of drug, manufacturer's name, dose, number of doses and number of doses administered. Submit complete description of the service including itemized invoice

All Other Unlisted, Non-specific HCPCS Codes
For example: HCPCS A0999-Unlisted ambulance service
HCPCS E1399-Durable medical equipment, miscellaneous
HCPCS A4649-Surgical supply, miscellaneous
Submit complete description of the service, including itemized invoice

All Non-specific ICD-9 Codes
For Example: ICD-9 799.8-ILL-Define condition nec
ICD-9 794.9-ABN Function study nec
Submit complete description of the diagnosis including office notes and history & physical