Wiki using Z85.828 as primary diagnosis code

flipden5

New
Best answers
Hello, at our plastic surgery practice we have been using Z85.828 as primary diagnosis code and Z12.83 for e/m visits for skin cancer rechecks for years. Recently claims are coming back as invalid principle diagnosis from Humana Medicare. We have always had these pay in the past. Any suggestions on another primary diagnosis code that could be used? Thank you

Hello, at our plastic surgery practice we have been using Z85.828 as primary diagnosis code and Z12.83 for e/m visits for skin cancer rechecks for years. Recently claims are coming back as invalid principle diagnosis from Humana Medicare. We have always had these pay in the past. Any suggestions on another primary diagnosis code that could be used? Thank you

If the patient is being rechecked for the history of skin cancer, I'd use Z08. It's not really a screening if they are undergoing surveillance for the personal history of skin cancer.

Flipden:)
Ahh the provider should be describing what is wrong with the patient who is seeking care. Then use this dx as primary and then the Z dx code. If patient has such skin conditions as Varicose Veins I83.812or Lipomas D17, Skin Tags L91.8, Nevus D22, Keloids L73 or Pilonidal cyst L05.9,Pressure Ulcer L98 , Calouses/Corns L84 or Melanin Hyperpigmentation dx L81.4 use one of these if documentation supports it then the Z dx code last. There are some first listed Z dx code but most of them are 2nd or last dx codes. Here are some Z dx codes use last Z12.83 ,Z86.018, or Z87.2
I hope helped you somewhat in this dilemma.(y)
Lady T

\
If the patient is being rechecked for the history of skin cancer, I'd use Z08. It's not really a screening if they are undergoing surveillance for the personal history of skin cancer.
Definitely agree with this! Screening is really not appropriate since there is a personal history that was previously treated.

--
Ryan Stroup, CPC