Wiki V42.82

tinas

Best answers
Can I please get guidance on the correct use of this code? I am interpreting this as a status code, but others see it as a history code and not to be used on the actual transplant admission. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Can I please get guidance on the correct use of this code? I am interpreting this as a status code, but others see it as a history code and not to be used on the actual transplant admission. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

It is a history code in a sense that it indicates the patient has a status of having received the transplant, it is a secondary only code.

Thanks Debra, would you be able to use it during the actual transplant admission, as the cells are replaced during that admission, and now being in a transplant status, it affects the care during the rest of the admission?

Thanks Debra, would you be able to use it during the actual transplant admission, as the cells are replaced during that admission, and now being in a transplant status, it affects the care during the rest of the admission?

No if you are the facility coder you would use the reason for the transplant. If you are the physician coder, for the visits post transplant you would use the V codes for aftercare first and the V42.82 as a secondary code

Just so I understand correctly, we would not use this status code as a secondary diagnosis to the transplant admission? It is confusing me because it is listed as status and not history, and it says except from present on admission. Would we use the aftercare codes for our facility outpatient clinic?

Tina

Just so I understand correctly, we would not use this status code as a secondary diagnosis to the transplant admission? It is confusing me because it is listed as status and not history, and it says except from present on admission. Would we use the aftercare codes for our facility outpatient clinic?

Tina
No yo would not use this code for the facility claim for the admission for the transplant. It is appropriate as a secondary to an aftercare code. It is a status code indicating that patient has had a transplant not that the patient is a status of receiving a transplant. The medical necessity for the admission to receive the transplant is the condition that necessitates the transplant. Once the patient is discharged the post op visits are aftercare or follow up and the patient then has the status of having received the transplant. So yes for the post op visits in the outpatient clinic you will use the V codes for follow up with the status code secondary. You will not use the condition that necessitated the transplant.

Last edited: