Wiki V58.61

Codersmile

Contributor
Best answers
I am a new coder to internal medicine. I need help with V58.61 for coumdin pt that come in the office each week for their INR check. We use V58.61 with 85610, and sometimes we use 99211 with 85610.
Please help!!!

First V58.61 is a secondary only code, you must use V58.83 first listed, followed by the V58.6x
Second you may not charge a 99211 for a blood draw encounter, you may code for the draw either 36415 or 36416 and the 85610.

Just so I am clear because I have to let the Medical Director here know how document this on the encounter. When billing for coumdin pt I use V58.83 as primary with V58.61 secondary, 36415 or 36416 with 85610 QW (Mcare). Is this correct?

Last edited:
Help please

New condition to coumadin clinic.

Coumadin Clinic is not just a fingerstick draw for INR results; the patient is being educated by Pharm-D and being seen by the resident covering Coumadin Clinic. The resident/attending is coding the visit.

You still cannot use the 99211 if this is a physician encounter then the physician must document the elements of a physician encounter. This does not meat the paramenters of a visit with a procedure is is much the same as a joint injection, the first visit the physician sees the patient and assesses the conditiona nd prescribes a tx in this case coumadin, then the physician tells the patient they are to return for another encounter to have this condition monitored in this case the drug levels. Nothing more is being done at this encounter. The blood draw codes plus the lab code includes as a natural component any and all discussion and supervision for that encounter.