Wiki Vaginitis code

colebk

Contributor
Best answers
Hi all -
Can anyone offer guidance on what ICD-10 code to use for general vaginal irritation/abnormal vaginal discharge? We were using N89.9 for noninflammatory disorders of vagina, unspecified, but were getting some rejections for using the unspecified code. We were asked to use N76.0, but this does not work for every situation where the microscope gives us no clues?

You need to use the most appropriate diagnosis codes for each individual case. Non-inflammatory discharge is different than inflammation. You should use a more specific diagnosis only if supported by documentation. It maybe helpful to educate the providers about documenting a diagnosis or sign/symptoms when no definitive diagnosis is established.
Just wondering who is asking you to use N76.0 if the note does not document vaginitis, or vulvovaginitis, or BV, etc.?
I realize that unspecified diagnoses is now a means some insurances are using to deny payment. In certain situations, I could agree. Pain in unspecified knee?? How could you have possibly evaluated the problem if you don't even know which knee it is. However, there are many situations where an unspecified diagnosis is the correct code. Rather than use an incorrect code to avoid a denial, you should code as appropriate, and appeal if needed.

I agree completely and my provider just wants some definite clarification. I don't want to throw anyone under the bus, but unfortunately it is someone in charge that doesn't have an ounce of clinical knowledge or experience to make these decisions. I thought maybe I missed an announcement because it made me second guess myself. Thank you for a detailed and thorough explanation!