Wiki Very competitive Job market for CPC-A's, even with old school ICD9 experience!

Best answers
Thanks in advance for even reading my post. I have 20+ yr medical experience and most recently obtaining my CPC-A at the ripe old age of 57 ;) I coded ICD9 back in the day for 10+ years, all being in an Internal medicine & pediatric office and administrative experience in other areas such as Emergency dept, Ortho & Urgent care. Now it's so competitive, that even that experience doesn't seem to matter. My question is... I am looking for a fully remote position, any pointers? I am on LinkedIn, Indeed, Ziprecruiter, Glassdoor, etc.

I will attach my resume and hope for the best. Thanks again for suggestions and/or comments.

Attachments

• MELISA_KING_CPC_resume-1.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Thanks in advance for even reading my post. I have 20+ yr medical experience and most recently obtaining my CPC-A at the ripe old age of 57 ;) I coded ICD9 back in the day for 10+ years, all being in an Internal medicine & pediatric office and administrative experience in other areas such as Emergency dept, Ortho & Urgent care. Now it's so competitive, that even that experience doesn't seem to matter. My question is... I am looking for a fully remote position, any pointers? I am on LinkedIn, Indeed, Ziprecruiter, Glassdoor, etc.

I will attach my resume and hope for the best. Thanks again for suggestions and/or comments.

I would suggest starting with getting your Apprentice designation removed. With all of your work experience, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the Apprentice designation removed. Here's a link to the instructions and template on the AAPC website: https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx

Sometimes the application screening tools automatically filter out the CPC-A credential, depending on the employer and the website. Since you should be eligible to have that A removed, I'd encourage you to do so.

Also, I'd encourage you to network with your local chapter. Or really any chapter in Georgia - there are many active ones and many chapters are having virtual meetings so you aren't limited to driving distance. Here's a link to the Find A Chapter search on the AAPC website - you can find the names of all the chapters near you here: https://www.aapc.com/localchapters/find-local-chapter.aspx

I know you want a fully remote position, so you might not think it will be helpful to network with local chapters. However, you may still get some inside info about open positions or get to know some hiring managers/supervisors. It couldn't hurt! And you'll get CEUs for attending the virtual meetings, so it's fulfilling a need either way. :)

Good luck on your job search!

I would suggest starting with getting your Apprentice designation removed. With all of your work experience, you shouldn't have any trouble getting the Apprentice designation removed. Here's a link to the instructions and template on the AAPC website: https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx

Sometimes the application screening tools automatically filter out the CPC-A credential, depending on the employer and the website. Since you should be eligible to have that A removed, I'd encourage you to do so.

Also, I'd encourage you to network with your local chapter. Or really any chapter in Georgia - there are many active ones and many chapters are having virtual meetings so you aren't limited to driving distance. Here's a link to the Find A Chapter search on the AAPC website - you can find the names of all the chapters near you here: https://www.aapc.com/localchapters/find-local-chapter.aspx

I know you want a fully remote position, so you might not think it will be helpful to network with local chapters. However, you may still get some inside info about open positions or get to know some hiring managers/supervisors. It couldn't hurt! And you'll get CEUs for attending the virtual meetings, so it's fulfilling a need either way. :)
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. You have given me a lot of information. I will begin my research right away!