Wiki VitB12 and magnesium injections in chemo pts

kathleeng

Guru
Best answers
I'm new to our Oncology/hematology office and our physicans tend to give vitamin b12 (J3420), magnesium sulfate (J3475), and potassium chloride (J3480) injections to our patients that are currently receiving active chemo treatments, even if they do not have deficiencies of these. The doctors state it is part of their regimen because these levels are typical to drop due to the chemo treatment, so they administer them as a preventive measure. Is this common practice and is anyone familiar and aware if cancers will be covered diagnosis'?

We often give magnesium supplementation to patients receiving cisplatin (at least I think that's the drug!), while Alimta patients get B12 per the guidelines. If they are given as part of the chemo regimen, we submit with the appropriate cancer and Z51 codes just like the other drugs in the regimen. We occasionally have a plan that we have to argue with - usually on the Alimta/B12 combo - but we win :)

We often give magnesium supplementation to patients receiving cisplatin (at least I think that's the drug!), while Alimta patients get B12 per the guidelines. If they are given as part of the chemo regimen, we submit with the appropriate cancer and Z51 codes just like the other drugs in the regimen. We occasionally have a plan that we have to argue with - usually on the Alimta/B12 combo - but we win :)
Awesome, Thank you for the feedback!