Wiki Vulvar hematoma

Best answers
Hello,
Looking for some advice on exploration and evacuation of vulvar hematoma. Patient had first OR procedure 10/26. I used CPT 57023.
Patient went to ED with bleeding 10/31 and was brought back to the OR. Clots were removed, an incision was placed deep within the cavity of hematoma. I am questioning what code to use for this. I was thinking 57203, 78 (this was a different doctor then who originally did the surgery)
Then they planned to have her go back into the OR 11/2, where the original doctor did incision and debridement, exploration of hematoma/re-approximation of skin. I wasn't sure what to use on this one. (57023,58?)
Thank you for your time, Desiree

Hello,
Looking for some advice on exploration and evacuation of vulvar hematoma. Patient had first OR procedure 10/26. I used CPT 57023.
Patient went to ED with bleeding 10/31 and was brought back to the OR. Clots were removed, an incision was placed deep within the cavity of hematoma. I am questioning what code to use for this. I was thinking 57203, 78 (this was a different doctor then who originally did the surgery)
Then they planned to have her go back into the OR 11/2, where the original doctor did incision and debridement, exploration of hematoma/re-approximation of skin. I wasn't sure what to use on this one. (57023,58?)
Thank you for your time, Desiree
You have indicated this was a vulvar hematoma, but code 57023 is specific for a vaginal hematoma. I would have reported 10140 for this procedure. If this is an entirely different provider and one not affiliated with the original MD they would have reported a modifier -77. If the original MD again repeats the original procedure he would use the modifier -78.