• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

We added an X-ray machine

GregPress

Best answers
Hello all,

Thank you for your time in advance.

The FP clinic I work for just bought an X Ray machine.

The Dr. will be taking and reading of the images.

What should I be aware of in regards to modifiers?

Thanks,
Greg

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
no modifiers but you do need to document that the patient was allowed a choice of having the xray performed in your office with your physician reading or if they would prefer to have it performed elsewhere of their choice ( this was part of the new Stark amendment). Also you must have a separately documented radiology interpretation report. This cannot be an additional line or paragraph in the assessment note but must be its own stand alone interpretation report.

GregPress

Best answers
Is there a specific form we should be using for the patient choice documentation? Does anybody have one they can share?

Thank you for the info!

Greg Press, CPC-A

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
no form that I am aware of you might check your regional Medicare website. Most folks I have spoken with that do inhouse xrays also were not aware of this provision in Stark so you may want to look it up so you have it. Sorry I have no website reference for you I did not save it. :(