Wiki What is the best way to go forward in the job market for billing when all you have is the CPB cert?

Best answers
I have looked at multiple sources for job postings, but all the jobs require multiple years of experience in the field. I have experience in the medical field but not specifically billing. Should I apply anyways in hopes that the certification can help me move forward through the application process?

I know there are some who will advise "apply for everything, it doesn't hurt".
My personal opinion is to spend your time applying smartly, and tailor your resume to the position you are applying for. It seems more and more that healthcare and healthcare administration jobs are by larger healthcare systems, not individual physician practices. Most use software that filters out applicants who do not meet their requirements. No human will even see your resume if you apply for a position requiring 3 years of medical billing experience and you have none. If your "medical field" experience is an any way billing related, make sure to highlight that. For example, a medical assistant might fill out lab requisitions requiring selecting specific CPT and/or ICD10 codes. If you worked front desk, you might have verified insurance benefits or performed insurance authorizations. That experience can help you be a more well rounded biller.
Definitely apply for positions that say "experience preferred", just realize you may not get many calls/interviews if you do not meet the preference. I would not waste my time applying for something stating "minimum of 2 years of medical billing experience." Good luck!

I'll also add from what I see on Indeed, MANY medical biller positions are willing to take entry level. It tends to be coder positions requiring experience. On Indeed for "medical biller" with entry level, I came up with 94 postings vs certified medical coder at entry level is 3 postings.