• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Important Note: We will be performing important server maintenance on 15 July 2020 , during which time this site will be unavailable for approximately 2 hours. If you are in the middle of something critical , please save your work. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

What is the correct way to bill 90935 & 99254

CC5657

Networker
Best answers
When a Nephroligist is requested to do an initial inpatient consult for an ESRD patient who was admitted to the hospital for other reasons than renal & the patient will need to continue dialysis while in hospital, can the doctor bill 99254-25 & 90935?? This is the way our office has been billing and Medicare is only paying for the dialysis(90935). We read in the description that payment for all E&M services is bundled into the payment for 90935. Also in the description, it says that "these services may be reported as provided on the same date as a dialysis service, if the service is significant & separately identifiable, meets any medical necessity requirements & is reported with the use of modifier 25.
Our doctors feel that they are doing a full initial consult along with managing the patients dialysis service.
Any help with this is much appreciated!!

suebeecar

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I am having this same issue, and do not see any replies. I have heard that you can actually bill the consult in this case as it has a higher RVU?
Although it's 2014, I have this same issue. We normally bill 99222-25 with 90935, but this time it was denied because it was within the global period of a vascular procedure done the month before. So, my question is, would I just add modifier 24 after the 25 and change the diagnosis? Please help! I am so new at this and will take any help I can get with any Nephrology or vascular coding! Thanks...