Wiki What jobs are out now with AI?

punkybrew

Best answers
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping to receive informative and just plain honest responses in regards to my question. I am taking the CPC course and I am currently in my 25+ years working in the medical field and enrolled in this course for hopefully a different career path and it keeps me learning also so hope for the benefits of both…
What is really the function of a CPC outpatient coder given that artificial intelligence is playing a role in coding. There is the dictation software that our doctors use that translate to codes and software coding that is implemented to efficiently process billing.
What will I be doing once I complete this course and obtain my certification?
Thank You for your time,
Cathy

I can tell you first hand that the AI software available today can not code encounters 100% accurately 100% of the time. Having a human on the backend of the coding experience is still a great option and one that I encourage. Even when AI becomes more prevalent, I for see coders having a place in the development of the software programs. Only us coders fully understand all of the ins and outs of the coding process and what all can go wrong. Companies will need coders to walk them through the steps from the patient being seen all the way to a claim going out the door. I have my CPC and I code remotely for outpatient edits and denials. I really enjoy my job.

In my experience, it is only computer assisted. AI cannot take the place of real people. I have seen many errors, issues and red flags with what many of the AI companies claim to be accurate coding. I have also seen more efficient and correct coding. It depends on many factors such as the organization, provider buy in and training, the brand, the initial configuration and maintenance, etc. There are still so many coding roles available of all types. Coders are relevant and needed. I would never advise a provider, facility or practice to rely 100% on AI alone. It's a tool used hand in hand with real people.