What services are included with ER visits?

Best answers
I'm working through Practicode and getting very confused. When a patient goes to the ER and has things done like XRays, CTs, etc.... I don't have to code separately for those services. (At least...I haven't been coding them and have not been marked wrong.) But EKG's DO need to be coded separately. I'm just wondering if there is a list somewhere of included ER services like there is for Critical Care Services. Thanks for the help!

Update: Now, I just coded an ER case where the patient had 2 EKG's done, and they were not coded at all on the answer guide. I'm so confused....

Last edited:
I can't provide any advise specific to Practicode, but will offer general coding advice.
When coding for the ER physician, you would code for any test that the interpretation is done by the ER physician. So if cardiologist reads EKG, then cardio bills for read. For things like xrays and CTs, the radiologist is reading and interpreting the images and preparing the report.
For EKGs, whether the ER physician interprets could vary from patient to patient, or based on hospital policy.

We would need more specific information as to the question you are seeing. As Christine said, it depends on who/what you are coding for whether it's the ED provider, other providers, or the facility and/or who performed what service. If you have a specific question you could put in here we can probably better help. I don't have any experience with Practicode either. There has to be an order and other requirements met for them to be billed. It also could depend on what payer they are telling you is being billed.

I did the Practicode for ER and the answers are inconsistent. I questioned several of the coding scenarios. I also did the ortho and am currently doing the inpatient one. It is very frustrating that the answers vary depending on who coded it. Once you hit submit on a case and then get the answers, if you don't agree or have questions you can put it in the question box at the bottom and a 'coach' will explain their answer or say you are correct and there was an error in their coding.