Wiki When coding pelvic peritoneal adhesions---

Best answers
When coding pelvic peritoneal adhesions is the general default N73.6 (postinfective) rather than N99.4 (postprocedural)? What if you can see noted in the record that the patient has had procedures before, but the provider does not mention this? The provider also does not mention that the adhesions are postinfective either. K66.0 looks more like it pertains to the gastrointestinal system, but also mentions being used for pelvic peritoneal adhesions too. I just want to be sure that everyone here is on the same page when it comes to coding this. Thanks for any help in advance! Fran Carter, CPC Fort Eustis 757 314-7889

I have been coming across this as well. When my provider states there are adhesions from previous C-sections or BTL, I want to use N99.4 (postprocedural) but other coders are using N73.6 (postinfective). When I ask why, they say they always have used N73.6 because when you look up N99.4 in the ICD-10 book, it states there is an excludes 2 for "Pelvic peritoneal adhesions NOS" at N73.6...so they say because the provider is suggesting that the adhesions are possibly due to the previous surgeries, but it's not definitive, then N73.6 (NOS) is a better choice. Any comments on this? I know this thread is a few years old now...