Wiki When do I report tests?

Elund

Networker
Best answers
I'm working on Practicode for CPC right now. For E/M encounters, I've noticed that the answer key often does not report the tests (such as labs, X-rays, CT scans, or EKGs), even when there seems to be enough info provided in the documentation to select codes for them. Why is this?

I'm working on Practicode for CPC right now. For E/M encounters, I've noticed that the answer key often does not report the tests (such as labs, X-rays, CT scans, or EKGs), even when there seems to be enough info provided in the documentation to select codes for them. Why is this?

You only code for the services provided by that physician.

Testing like labs, x-rays, CT scans, and EKGs are billed by the provider who actually performs and/or interprets those tests.

For example, if you have an ER visit where some CT scans and x-rays were done:

ER physician: Code for the ER E/M service
Hospital: Code for the technical component of the x-rays and CT scans. (And also the facility ER level)
Radiologist who reads the images: Code for the professional component of the x-rays and CT scans

You only code for the services provided by that physician.

Testing like labs, x-rays, CT scans, and EKGs are billed by the provider who actually performs and/or interprets those tests.

For example, if you have an ER visit where some CT scans and x-rays were done:

ER physician: Code for the ER E/M service
Hospital: Code for the technical component of the x-rays and CT scans. (And also the facility ER level)
Radiologist who reads the images: Code for the professional component of the x-rays and CT scans
Yes I agree with TrueBlue(sls314). E/M is is only referring to provider who performed the service(s).