Wiki When is appropriate to use F41.8-

aparscal

Networker
Best answers
I code BH, this is a brand specialty to me. Many of the pts have depression and anxiety. These are documented separately, sometimes there is a different level of depression like moderate, severe, recurrent, but the doctor will also include anxiety in the assessment. Would coding F41.8 be appropriate when I find these two DX in the assessment? Or does the doctor have to document a relationship between the two?
Below is how it's listed in the book. I guess my questions is, when is it appropriate to use F41.8?

F41.8 -Other specified anxiety disorders
anxiety depression
anxiety hysteria
mixed anxiety and depressive disorder

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you asked because I've had this same question myself for some time, as have many others, apparently. In researching it just now, I see that the latest edition of Coding Clinic has published this guidance:

The classification does not assume a linkage between depression and anxiety; therefore, documentation of the two conditions is not sufficient to link them together. Assign codes F32.9, Major depressive disorder, single episode, unspecified, and F41.9, Anxiety disorder, unspecified, when the documentation has not established a linkage between the depression and the anxiety.

If, however, the provider does indicate a relationship between the two conditions, it would be appropriate to assign code F41.8, Other specified anxiety disorders. This code assignment includes anxiety depression and mixed anxiety and depressive disorder.

Mixed anxiety and depressive disorder, also known as MADD, is a distinct clinical diagnosis. In ICD-10-CM, it is not classified the same as unspecified anxiety and depression. Unless there is a linkage in the documentation to indicate a single disorder, these conditions should be coded separately.

Hi
Maybe you can use dx F43.22 or F43.23 to cover depression and anxiety. Check these 2 beh. health dx codes out !
I hope it helps you. Also if documentation supports it I use dx R45 as secondary dx codes.
Lady T :)