Wiki when to use 62 or 80

Best answers
I have a physician that always dictates his op reports with a "cosurgeon/assistant". When do I use the cosurgeon modifier instead of the assistant modifier. I have a coding with modifier's book, and it is giving me mixed signals. From what I understand, if one physician does one portion or the surgery, and the other physician does a different portion of the surgery, then they assist each other. If they both do different portions of the same procedure, then it's cosurgery. Is this correct? Also, it mentions something in there about the physicians being of the same specialty in order to use the cosurgeon modifier, is this correct? Please help. Thanks.

Co-Surgery: Dr. A does a part of the procedure and Dr. B does a part of the same procedure. They do not have to be of the same speciality. They each dictate seperate operative reports. Dr. A bills the same codes as Dr. B and they both append a 62 modifier to their codes.

Assist: Dr. A performes the surgery and Dr. B is there just to assist when needed. Dr. A dictates an operative report and lists Dr. B as the assistant surgeon. Dr. A bills for the surgery and Dr. B bills the same codes as Dr. A but appends an 80 modifier to the codes. Dr. B does not need to dictate a seperate operative report.

If Dr. A performes a procedure and Dr. B performes a seperate procedure during the same operative session, then each doctor bills for their own procedure that they performed and no modifier is needed from either physician.

Hope that helps!