Wiki Who is ultimately responsible for Correct Coding

Reenie98

Contributor
Best answers
I attended a seminar a couple of years ago; where the speaker cautioned us on changes to definitions in the laws. They specified; these changes allow the OIG to look at BOTH an organization AND the coders involved for fraudulent claims. I have unfortunately misplaced the notes for this. The speaker cautioned us specifically that Correspondence telling coders to code a certain way from a manager or Client; no longer protected them from liability; that we are INDIVIDUALLY responsible for coding despite any direction given. I am looking for something that says this in black and white; can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have been looking today; I am finding lots of cases with individuals sited; but nothing where the individual can prove they were told to act in that manner; and maybe that in itself is the answer; I don't know.

I remember an AAPC article that was written by an attorney many years ago where he stated that coders are liable for all codes they submit. I don't know if someone at the AAPC can tract this down for you or not in was in an old Coding Edge.