Wiki Wondering how to find a job not long after taking a CPC exam

Best answers
Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, but I've just been in dire need of advice. I only completed and passed my CPC exam recently and have thusly gained Apprentice status, but due to my lack of work experience I've been struggling to find first-time jobs (though I try to apply to a fair number of jobs I come across). I'm posting here to see if anyone has any advice from their own experience when first setting out to find a job, because at this point I would appreciate any and all advice!

(I also worry a bit because while I did mention a CPC certification for the few jobs I did apply for, I think I forgot to put the Apprentice part after...I just hope I can clarify should they respond at all, because even if it was unintentional, I don't want to get in trouble for that.)

Last edited:
Hi! This is my first time posting on this forum, but I've just been in dire need of advice. I only completed and passed my CPC exam recently and have thusly gained Apprentice status, but due to my lack of work experience I've been struggling to find first-time jobs (though I try to apply to a fair number of jobs I come across). I'm posting here to see if anyone has any advice from their own experience when first setting out to find a job, because at this point I would appreciate any and all advice!

(I also worry a bit because while I did mention a CPC certification for the few jobs I did apply for, I think I forgot to put the Apprentice part after...I just hope I can clarify should they respond at all, because even if it was unintentional, I don't want to get in trouble for that.)
You'll want to correct your resume to show the CPC-A asap but in interviews just be honest about it and the status of your experience. You need to attend chapter meetings and make yourself familiar to the other members. Don't come across desperate and like a user, but just start making connections in a friendly way. If it comes up in conversation that you are looking, let the other person any advice would be helpful. To find a job, consider using a medical temp agency- LaSalle Network in one. also work on a specialty to get your feet under you.

Good Luck. Try searching the forums here, there are probably thousands of posts with advice for this question. CPC-A, Apprentice, New Coder, Job, etc. would be key words.

I got a job about 1 month after passing my exam. I used indeed....a local hospital was hiring an accounts billing representative aka medical biller. Easy way to get a foot in the door...I'm hoping to get in as a coder with the same place because they are so short staffed for coders

I got a job about 1 month after passing my exam. I used indeed....a local hospital was hiring an accounts billing representative aka medical biller. Easy way to get a foot in the door...I'm hoping to get in as a coder with the same place because they are so short staffed for coders
That is exactly one of the common pieces of advice I give to newly certified coders, especially if they have not previously worked in the healthcare industry. Your medical billing work has increased your knowledge of EMR systems, insurance plans, exposure to specialties, interaction with insurance companies and/or patients and/or clinical staff and a dozen other skills that can help you become a better coder. It also shows your employer (or a future employer) that you are willing to work hard and realize there is more to the revenue cycle than coding.
Good luck and I hope you get a coding position soon!