Wiki Worker's Comp Question..

rcj0401

Contributor
Best answers
I am employed with an FQHC in AR. Is anyone aware of any Worker's Comp payers that would not reimburse for services performed by an ANP? Aware of any limitations/readings on this? We have what I believe to be a miscommunication. We used to have an ANP who had a personal preference of not wanting to see W/C patients because she was not going to be willing to go to court if that occurred and I think it has snowballed from there to ....."I'm an ANP and I can't see w/c". I can find no limitations in my research thus far. Thank you in advance for anyone whom helps!!!!

Hi. From my understanding, an NP can bill WC, but there must be an authorized Doctor who initially sees the patient due to the numerous medical issues that an NP might not be familiar with. The NP can then see the patient if their issue is within that NP's clinical expertise. Plus, the Doctor will need to sign off on work restrictions and such.

Thank you for your reply. We have MDs or DOs signing off on their work. I have found the NPs definition of scope of practice to be very vague....more if they are comfortable with it, they can do it. Thank you again.