Wiki Would like to get an medical auditor position…

Vjbolick

New
Best answers
Hi, I have been a medical coder for 7 years and I have a CPC and a CPMA. I would like to get into an auditor position but am finding it difficult since I have no auditor experience and no one is willing to hire me with only my CPMA. Is there any advice you could give me? Thank you.

Hi Vjbolick,
Maybe you really already have the experience but just really didn't know this until now because it just simply isn't in your title (seriously same for me).
Even if it is not part of your job description and you are reviewing documentation BEFORE or EVEN after it was billed you are clearly auditing.
Did you code this ~ possibly a "self audit", or did you run a charge master reconciliation report for lets say 9/1/2022 to 10/1/2022 and fix anything ~ it is a proactive audit. Don't be embarrassed please. I do not care what type of audit was performed at this point. I just need to know a review was conducted personally by you and charges were possibly updated per your review. If so you really are auditing. That should be documented. Even if you are doing duties your facility unfortunately isn't paying you.
I wasn't looking for a new position but simply lacked stating I was "self auditing my pathology reports". Pathologist's gives 88305x2 and one is for example gastric biopsy (88305) and the other was pancreas (88307) but they gave me a 88305x2 - yes you darn well know I was auditing in "self audit mode" "proactively".
I'm clearly and seriously not a guru on resumes by any means, but I have to believe with 7 years of experience and the CPMA certification you may be doing WAY MORE than what you are documenting on your resume. Also If you are not in LinkedIN ~ please do so. Take the time ~ the profile picture, along with all the information. (YES, it is time consuming). They, those looking for fits for their position will potentially hit you. It really depends on how you document everything in your post. The Coding Market is still hot (like flames still). I only wish you copious and tons of success. I'm hopeful my advice may help.
Have a fantastic evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT

Good morning Vjbolick,

I am the Manager of Compliance for Monument Health in Rapid City, SD. I happen to have an auditor position open on my team and one of the requirements is coding, which I see you have. Where are you located?

Good morning Vjbolick,

I am the Manager of Compliance for Monument Health in Rapid City, SD. I happen to have an auditor position open on my team and one of the requirements is coding, which I see you have. Where are you located?
Hi, Thank you very much for the reply. I live in RTP in North Carolina. If that works then great, if not then thank you for asking.

Hi Vjbolick,
Maybe you really already have the experience but just really didn't know this until now because it just simply isn't in your title (seriously same for me).
Even if it is not part of your job description and you are reviewing documentation BEFORE or EVEN after it was billed you are clearly auditing.
Did you code this ~ possibly a "self audit", or did you run a charge master reconciliation report for lets say 9/1/2022 to 10/1/2022 and fix anything ~ it is a proactive audit. Don't be embarrassed please. I do not care what type of audit was performed at this point. I just need to know a review was conducted personally by you and charges were possibly updated per your review. If so you really are auditing. That should be documented. Even if you are doing duties your facility unfortunately isn't paying you.
I wasn't looking for a new position but simply lacked stating I was "self auditing my pathology reports". Pathologist's gives 88305x2 and one is for example gastric biopsy (88305) and the other was pancreas (88307) but they gave me a 88305x2 - yes you darn well know I was auditing in "self audit mode" "proactively".
I'm clearly and seriously not a guru on resumes by any means, but I have to believe with 7 years of experience and the CPMA certification you may be doing WAY MORE than what you are documenting on your resume. Also If you are not in LinkedIN ~ please do so. Take the time ~ the profile picture, along with all the information. (YES, it is time consuming). They, those looking for fits for their position will potentially hit you. It really depends on how you document everything in your post. The Coding Market is still hot (like flames still). I only wish you copious and tons of success. I'm hopeful my advice may help.
Have a fantastic evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT
Thank you so much for the information and well wishes. Your advice was of great help and gives me so hope. All the best to you.