Wiki Years of Experience before becoming an Auditor

jhofler

Networker
Best answers
Years of experience before becoming an Auditor

Hi There -

I am curious, how many years of coding experience did you have before becoming an Auditor and passing the CPMA exam? I am currently a Coder and want to take the exam, however, I was wondering if it is possible to shadow someone already in the profession to see what a typical day looks like. I hear there is absolutely no coding involved. I don't know if that is possible or not to shadow someone, but will look into it. :)

Last edited:
Hello jhofler,

I was a coder for 10 years before getting into auditing and obtaining my CPMA. The current and past focus of the audits I perform(ed) are on evaluation and management codes only. I know that some organizations have auditors whom only audit for production while other auditors go out into the field and educate the providers on the audit findings. I am not sure about shadowing in the field but you could certainly reach out to a local hospital HIM, Compliance or Revenue Cycle area.

LaNeice Watson, COC, CHCA, CHCAF, HBA, HCM, CDI

Ive worked in the coding/billing field since 1987. During the course of those years I also worked as a consultant, physician educator, and Coding educator. I have worked for a payer since 1992 - which has also given a different perspective. I transitioned into the SIU ( special investigations unit) 9 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I hope I get to work within the Fraud, Waste and Abuse side for a long time to come :) Auditing is truly one of my favorite things. Its a very different mindset from coding and billing, but the experience in that area definitely prepared me. I hope you enjoy it as well!

LaNeice Watson, COC, CHCA, CHCAF, HBA, HCM, CDI

I started coding in 2004. I can't say exactly how many years it was before it happened, but when I noticed that I could look at a note and see what was missing or wrong with it was when I started considering going into Auditing/Compliance.

I think having the correct mindset is more important than having a certain number of years under your belt. An employer may feel differently, however! ;)

No coding experience

Hi!

I had NO coding experience when I got hired as an auditor. All I had was my CPC-A and 1 year of medical billing customer service. They hired me because of my way of thinking and mindset, not coding experience. Auditing is very different, there is no coding involved. I am a great auditor but coding is more difficult for me. You do not need to have a certain number of years, if you want to try it, GO FOR IT!!!